General Discussion
 Teen summer opportunities?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

JusLilMimi

5 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  11:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey. I'm seventeen and I'm looking for something to occupy myself with over the summer that would allow me to gain some sort of theatrical training/experience, whether it be in the form of an internship or actual performance. If you have any information on theaters offering high school internships, or that will be holding auditions for shows that include roles for high school teens, please respond! Thanks.

Roo
Average Member

86 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Roo a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mimi
You need to provide a bit more data:
Where do the internships need to be? are you looking for free/paid internships or are you able/willing to pay a fee?
Off the top of my head, Arts council of Princeton has some summer offererings and may need people to help as well as attend. Also, Princeton Rep, an open air shakespeare festival in Princeton, offers fee based internships and also pays people to help with set construction etc. Look at www.Princetonol.com for a useful listing of local groups.
As to roles, there are a lot of summer musicals etc. and you should get on audition mailing lists. Find the kelsey theater at mercer county community college www.mccc.edu and there are some links. many auditions for summer shows in the central NJ area happen there. Look also at the Yardley players web site www.yardleyplayers.org
good luck
Go to Top of Page

DJC24

30 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  9:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monmouth County Parks does a two show summer season which this year includes Music Man and On the Town. We cast a lot of people 17 years old and upward. It is great fun and an excellent place to learn. It has been called a "teaching barn" many a time. Great place to gain experience and have a ball doing it.

There are also at least two people there, including myself, who offer private coaching to young actors... especially those preparing for college and the professional world of theatre. Also, the choreographers run their own dance classes and the park system also offers summer acting and dance classes with professional teachers. Those classes are usually geared toward people younger than you, but private lessons in tandem with studying dance or voice with the people involved may be a nice alternative.

Check out the Music Man audition notice under the Auditions Listing on this website and on this forum for the audition info.

-David

"Hold on tightly... Let go lightly." - Peter Brook

Edited by - DJC24 on 09 Sep 2020 2:44:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page