NJTheater.com Forum
NJTheater.com
NJTheater.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Theater Forum
 Play Reading Club
 FROZEN

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Miss Brodie Posted - 07 Feb 2006 : 11:41:28 AM
Let's try something newer and hipper. FROZEN seems to be the "hot" script of the moment with NJ community theatres. Written by Bryony Lavery, the play is described as a "psychological thriller."

Tune in next week to discuss.

"Acting is the oldest profession, no matter what claims are made by the other trade." - Charlton Heston
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jheron Posted - 11 Sep 2006 : 09:07:50 AM
quote:

Who is directing at Circle?

Fred Cuozzo
MsLeighM Posted - 05 Sep 2006 : 12:51:03 PM
Have to admit, this hasn't held my attention. Started it a few weeks ago and it's been sitting on the table in my front entrance waiting for me to pick it up again.

Who is directing at Circle?

"If I must dream, I would dream wonders." Daisaku Ikeda

Leigh
jheron Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 12:21:59 PM
Circle is doing it next season.
Miss Brodie Posted - 22 Mar 2006 : 4:54:01 PM
I read FROZEN over the weekend. It's basically a 3-character play, although there is a 4th character who has no lines. Most of the action is presented as monologues, although there are a few dialogue scenes. And, in the script I read, the lines are printed in a disjointed style that looks like lines of poetry.

But what bone-chilling action it is. And how beautifully playwright Lavery unfolds it for us with those poetic monologues. 10-year-old Rhona goes missing when she is sent to prune her grandmother's hedges. Ralph has gotten a new tattoo, and he needs a little excitement to distract him from the pain. Rhona's distraught mother becomes active in an organization devoted to reuniting missing children with their families, and Rhona's older sister (who should have been the one going to grandmother's) travels the world in search of spiritual solace. Finally, an American female psychologist, struggling with her own personal pain, flies to Great Britain to interview a serial killer for her research on the brain characteristics of those who commit unthinkable crimes.

The three characters - Rhona's mother, Ralph and the American psychologist - are three tour de force roles for mature actors. The play's subject matter, dealing with crimes against children and the issue of forgiving the unforgivable, makes for a gripping theatrical experience for the audience. Good stuff.

"Acting is the oldest profession, no matter what claims are made by the other trade." - Charlton Heston
Miss Brodie Posted - 21 Feb 2006 : 4:24:43 PM
Sure. Bryony Lavery's play FROZEN has been published by Faber & Faber. I found that out by visiting Amazon.com. There are very few book and play titles that can't be looke up at amazon. And most of them can be purchased there, too.

Sorry, I still haven't made time to read this script. Did anyone else get to it? Any comments?

NJDramaturge Posted - 18 Feb 2006 : 12:25:16 PM
Just a suggestion.

Can you tell us who publishes the play to facilitate us getting a copy?

"Theater is craft, not art" -- Stephen Sondheim

NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page