NJTheater.com Forum
NJTheater.com
NJTheater.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Theater Forum
 Play Reading Club
 Play Reading Club?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Miss Brodie Posted - 16 Jun 2004 : 09:55:00 AM
Is anyone interested in participating in a summer play reading club? We could all suggest plays to read, pick one of the suggestions for the group to read each week, and then discuss online. If it turns out to be a good thing, we could continue into the fall.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Miss Brodie Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 12:11:28 PM
So, I'm done for the summer, and heavily booked with rehearsals, memorizing lines and all the etcetera of CT life. Anyone who is curious about a particular play they've never seen/read, feel free to add a topic. And, as I tried to say earlier, there is no statute of limitations on volunteering your opinions/thoughts about any of the plays in this folder.

Passing the baton...
MsLeighM Posted - 07 Jul 2004 : 5:07:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Brodie

Okay, I said there would be no rules, and there won't be any. But where are all you folks who expressed an interest in reading plays? We haven't come to one you want to read, yet? You're too busy to get the scripts, too busy to read? Or you just don't feel like commenting?

Just FYI, increasing your knowledge of the dramatic literature can only be a good thing.

Don't have the time to go to the library and don't have the money to order the scripts... pick some shows I have in my collection and I'll be happy to chime in!! In the meantime, I'm enjoying following along.

"If I must dream, I would dream wonders." Daisaku Ikeda

Leigh
Miss Brodie Posted - 07 Jul 2004 : 4:59:11 PM
Okay, I said there would be no rules, and there won't be any. But where are all you folks who expressed an interest in reading plays? We haven't come to one you want to read, yet? You're too busy to get the scripts, too busy to read? Or you just don't feel like commenting?

Just FYI, increasing your knowledge of the dramatic literature can only be a good thing.
Wednesday Posted - 01 Jul 2004 : 12:54:36 PM
S'alright -- the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center is open tomorrow...YIPPEEE!!!!

So me gots some play reading to catch up on. Actually, from the comments I read I am now really looking forward to reading "Art" -- and the others as well.

"It's not true that I had nothing on at the time. I had the radio on." -- Marilyn Monroe
Miss Brodie Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 3:14:10 PM
We don't need no stinking rules!

I'll pick a new play each Wednesday (or thereabouts) from the suggestions made in the PLAY SUGGESTIONS folder. Anybody who likes can read the play, and we will commence discussion the following Wednesday in a folder titled with the name of the play only. Discussion can continue until doomsday.

Discussion will be completely open. We can discuss what we like or don't like about a particular play, whether it's a good choice for a community theatre production, compare it to other plays by the same playwright or of the same era, pick who we would cast in the leads - whatever.

And, James, thank you so much for creating this separate folder. You're a real gentleman.
Wednesday Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 10:25:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrausam

I agree with Wednesday (who should come to my house if she wants to organize and remove clutter - my life would mollify her Virgo-osity in a single visit).

How is next Thursday? ;) (This Virgo has to clean up her *own* life this weeknd, actually)

Catherine -- One more smidge of input.

Start one Folder that just explains the rules of the club, if there are any. Have another Folder for PLAY READING CLUB SUGGESTIONS (only) And then an individual folder for each play ( which you have already done. But in the Subject line of the Folder - if it fits you may want to add DISCUSSION...Like so. DISCUSSION: GOLDEN BOY.

That's it. OK, I have made the world a better place today...think I can go home, now?
Jgrausam Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 09:13:06 AM
I agree with Wednesday (who should come to my house if she wants to organize and remove clutter - my life would mollify her Virgo-osity in a single visit). I can't join in this week - far too much to memorize and read so Odets will have to wait- but I want to join later. The new folder will let me know when the next discussion is announced. And scholoarship is the best category for it because it will make us all feel "intellectual"
James
DennActs Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 5:34:18 PM
Yes that is a good Idea. I would do it.
Wednesday Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 4:29:53 PM
Scholarship and research.

Make a new folder for each play that is discussed. So if people want to join later -- they can still add to the discussions and have no problem finding it.

I think it will get lost in General Area, IMHumbleO

(I'm a Virgo...And I was put on this earth to organize...and eliminate clutter...)

Prosper Block Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 4:09:15 PM
A per book thread would be nice and neat, but now that I think about it, perhaps a more interesting line of discussion can be realized if we have a single area, continuing from book to book, in which our comments may be collected. There's no telling, then, where our "conversations" may lead us.

Actually, I'm up for anything. This is a wonderful and stimulating idea.

I don't check this site often, so please let me know if we change the play (Golden Boy) for next Wednesday.
Miss Brodie Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 3:59:36 PM
Well, I don't know. Should we start a new thread for each piece that we read? Should we keep it in General Discussion, or put it in Scholarship and Research?
Prosper Block Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 3:22:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prosper Block

Please, count me in. I'll be out of the office a good portion of Wednesday, June 23, but I'd like to "read" the discussion, and chime in, thereafter. Will there be a "Golden Boy" folder in which this will take place?

Prosper Block Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 3:10:45 PM
Please, count me in.
ksampino Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 08:08:46 AM
Count me in too. I should be getting more familiar with the literature, but I usually need a good kick in the rear to get started. Consider me kicked.

BTW, I've already read "Golden Boy", but I'll take a look at it again. You can get anthologies of Odet's major plays from B&N or Amazon or any store of that ilk.

"He couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field full of horny clues with him smeared in clue musk and doing the clue mating dance"
- Edward Flaherty
Judy Posted - 16 Jun 2004 : 10:20:25 PM
I'd like to participate also. I'll be off to my library tomorrow to find a copy.

NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page